Sunday, October 22, 2006

Not a quick fix

I think plastic surgery is a bad idea. People must do what ever they want, as long as they aren’t hurting anyone, but I say avoid the surgeon if you can. I have learnt from personal experience that it is not a quick fix. My story goes like this- I hated the bump on my nose and as I went through all the stuff that a high school girl goes through I became almost fixated on it to the point where I was sure it was the only thing anyone saw when they looked at me. So in the December holidays after my tenth grade year I went to get it fixed. Some doctors tend to over prescribe and mine certainly tried; he suggested I get a chin implant too! Two procedures in one, he said with an eager smile. Luckily I was not interested and went for the simple septum straightening. The op went fine, and other than the sensation of those eewie goey nose plugs being pulled out after the first week, I remember very little from that time. All better. Or so one hopes. Suddenly you have a body part that isn’t the one God gave you but rather a man-made one. There’ve been some pretty amazing human feats but just as many, if not more, human F£*%-ups, and you just bladdy hope that yours isn’t the latter. Luckily mine was pretty good although I have never quite gotten used to it. I examine my profile in the mirror and check-out the new shape of my nose; maybe my bump would have been better than Dr. W’s slope. I wonder if I shouldn’t have learnt to love, or at least live with, the imperfections that were mine rather than the imperfections that are somebody else’s. Body parts are odd things; they inherently have funny shapes. I say don’t try to streamline your bits just because you think they might look better if someone else made them- there is no better creator than the one who made them all in the first place.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A really insightful post. You never really talk about your nose and its nice to! ... You made a big decision at a young time of your life and its intersting to hear you reflect on it years down the line...more stories! x