Friday, August 25, 2006

Terri and Carrie

Bess finally managed to write a comment but unfortunately due to a rude visitor also commenting on that post- the comments have been deleted. Thanks a lot Anonymous.

The commenter made reference to me as a Carrie Bradshaw wannabe, which I actually found quite flattering. I hadn’t thought to compare my blogging style with that of Sarah Jessica Parker’s ‘Sex in the City’ character. Perhaps female writers who chat in a public forum about the trivial (and sometimes not so trivial) happenings in their lives could all be bunched up together in one category- if you like doing that sort of thing-, which it seems Anonymous does.

He/she then asked if I have a job. You offering? I’m reticent to say I am writer (it sounds so… laadeeda), but writing is what I spend the time I call ‘working’ doing. To a certain extent I have taken the year to focus more on other things; moving to a new city, setting up a new home and getting married. However, there are quite a few interesting things in the pipelines, which I’ll be sure to keep you posted on.

On the topic of exciting upcoming projects, it seems I’ll be donning my slightly dusty director’s cap in the near future. A successful meeting with Themi Venturas of the Catalina lead to a decision that will see me directing a production of ‘Hair’ for a six week run at his theatre early next year. ‘Hair’ at the Johannesburg State Theatre was the first play that turned me and spun me around making me realize that my passion lay in the performing arts. Now I have to rediscover that passion. And send out the funding proposal.

I’m putting myself and my work out there, in the public forum. As a blogger, a writer, a director. Some people will love me and some wont. I’ll get those rude crits which wont be as easy to delete. It’s all part of it. I’m alive and being heard, pushing buttons and stirring up controversy! Yes, it is quite Carrie Bradshawesque.

No comments: