Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Cheese cake and more

It seems a bit late in the week for a weekend update, but yesterday I was out of action and in the nasty grip of some strange bug and if I had attempted to write then my post would have consisted of lots of moans, whines and hot/cold sweaty descriptions. This morning I have woken up feeling much better. I may even be ready to have a slice of the cheese cake Robbie and I baked on Sunday. We used a recipe from my mom who got it from a friend who makes ‘the best cheese cake in town’. And even though great chefs and bakers usually leave out one special ingredient when passing on a recipe, we must have compensated for that somewhere because ours suuure is close on the best cheese cake in town! Everyone else has really enjoyed it too: Ilan says it is hands down the best cheese cake he has ever eaten and Bess says we should open up a cheese cake shop. Rob and I are getting quite good at this baking thing and it is fast becoming a standard part of our weekends, much like gym on Saturday mornings and golf on Sundays (actually mashie; a 9-hole golf course somewhere in between miniature golf and the real thing).

But Robbie and I aren’t the only ones who displayed culinary excellence this weekend- we were invited for Friday night dinner downstairs and Sandra whipped up (read: spent the entire day slaving away in the kitchen) a real feast. For hors d'Ĺ“uvres we were treated to freshly home-baked whole-wheat kitkes, then for main course we feasted on home-baked whole-wheat pizzas topped with a colourful array of veggies, and finally for dessert we had yummy biscuity ice-cream. Between courses we sang camp-fire songs from an old Habonim Camp song book and after the meal we benched using the benchers from our wedding.

On Saturday evening we painted an oil on canvas masterpiece then went out for tea to Yossi’s which is a middle-eastern themed restaurant on Davenport road. Davenport road is very near to where we live and is fast becoming a very popular hub with a smart new pizza joint, a couple of coffee shops, clothes shops, a second hand book shop, and a great Woolworths where I do most of our shopping. It is on this road that Bess suggests we open our cheese cake shop. Well, perhaps... if all else fails. I haven't given up on fame and fortune just yet.

P.S Hello and thanks to all who read my blog, and welcome to those who have just started. I love it when comments are left- I know that it can be problematic and frustrating- but I think that if you post your comment as 'anonymous' it should go through without a problem. Let me know.

Bye for now

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

love reading your little blog spot!! Makes me lus for my own journal entry...but alas feel for lack of real motivation time and just plain old skill, cannot actually write one! useless.
P.S stripper flippin hot.
Ca

Anonymous said...

I am thrilled that excercise is part of your routine!!! - as it seems that you budding master chefs are producing such yummy food which could end up on the hips if not balanced with gym, golf etc... Mighty impressive creativity emanating from Durbs! Would love to taste soon...
Love from Coolwater