Monday, August 21, 2006

Material girl

This weekend was a treat. I treated myself to all manner of things and spread it around a bit as well.

It all began on Friday when I headed to MAC at The Pav(ilion) for some new eye-shadow colours to amuse myself with. An excitable assistant sat me down in front of the well lit, show every blemish, hide nothing mirror and began playing dress-up with my face. Looking all spiffy I made a beeline for YDE where their impressive footwear selection had me salivating. Now, I’m not actually a materialistic person; I seldom purchase lavish things, have very little desire to be abreast of the latest fashions and choose comfortable old takkies over new ones any day. Most days. On this day though I was feeling a sense of entitlement to all things beautiful. A pair of pointy-toe boots caught me off guard and I realized that only now, as the fashion passes (has well passed) am I catching on. They reminded me of a pair of boots my mom had in the 80s which I used to dress up in – and, as the true kugels say, I just had to have them. I was then seduced by a black bubble dress with a white sash… It’s like the clock has turned back a good 20 years or so and anything 1980s is on the cutting edge. The bubble ruffle dress is very current, a look that I was sure – like the pointy-toe shoes - would pass me right by, until I discovered this little number. And so it was, grabbing a pair of black chain earrings to complete the look, I had my outfit for Guy and Joeleen’s Sunday wedding.

Other preparations for the wedding included picking up a gift off their registry (a wooden photo box), which we personalized by printing out photos of the two of them from our wedding and sticking them into the various windows of the box. I also snuck into their flat (as previously arranged) and romanced the place up a bit. By that I mean sprinkling a rose-petal path to the bathroom where bubble bath and candles would await the newlyweds home-coming, and leaving champagne and other nice surprises around the flat.

It all got a bit manic as I rushed around, managing all of this, plus fitting in our usual gym and golf routine and getting my hair done (following through on the theme of indulgence). At one point I even locked my keys in the boot of my car, which, like the boots, I thought would never happen. But did. So luckily I was just in the garage and extra luckily I have recently gotten a spare key made, so I ran up to the flat to get it and lost little time.

The wedding itself was a treat! Joeleen looked magnificent and Guy couldn’t stop smiling literally from ear to ear. I kept remembering moments and feelings from our wedding and would squeeze Robbie’s hand so he’d know I having one of those flashback moments. I cried and laughed, ate and danced (a lot). Our table was wonderful and there was lots of sociable chatting with those seated around us as well as with some friendly folk who would come up to say hi or with some familiar faces who would share a space and a song on the dance floor.

I felt great in my new outfit. The clothes-buyer for a nationwide chain store seated next to me told me I looked very ‘Vera Wang’ and I resolved to make more of an effort with my wardrobe; to get rid of the old and bring in some new. Spring is after all around the corner.

No comments: