
Last month I spent 4 days selecting every meal off their laminated rotating menu and now I’m back again. A lot sooner than I would have guessed. My return isn’t because the Royal’s 3 meal options per mealtime are just so tough to choose between, but because Baby M got sick.
Tuesday night’s high temp had me making a pediatricians appointment first thing Wednesday morning and the paed had us admitted into the Little People’s Ward before I could say sleeping-in-a-public-ward-with-6-sick-toddlers.
Baby was diagnosed with viral meningitis, which is a lot less hectic than it sounds. The symptom is a high fever and the treatment is panado.
Then Son decided to get a middle-ear infection. So between my two children we are keeping the paed and the Panado manufacturers in the money this month.Baby M and I have been upgraded to a private room, so tonight I might have my best sleep in 5 weeks, and my mom (life saver!!!!!!) and husband are caring for Son on the home front. If last night is anything to go by, they won’t be having a great night’s sleep. I just hope all the drugs start to work.
Like any mom, I hate having sick children. Thank G'd mine aren't terribly ill, but the ramifications have been quite far reaching in this specific case: my sister and her family as well as my brother and his lovely girlfriend have had to call off their much looked forward to visit this weekend. Sad face. My mom has had to extend her stay here by a few more days (did I say life-saver?) leaving my dad alone in the house in Jo’burg for a few more days (what a trooper, Pa).
In all this, I must still count our blessings. As I look around this ward at the boy who burnt his face and feet with porridge and the 3 year-old who has just developed epilepsy, I’m so thankful that just a bit of Panado and a couple of days will have my precious little ones back on track and our lives will start getting back to normal (what’s that again?).


The big bandage on her arm is just a drip so that her daily antibiotic can be given intravenously
No comments:
Post a Comment