Tuesday, September 26, 2006

That Cape Town feeling


Woke up to this morning in Cape Town. Good morning Cape Town, Mother City, my old home, my old friend. The mountains and seas are as beautiful and as temperamental as ever. One day it’s all cold shoulders and frosty stares, just one big bad mood of a day, and the next is like a generous hug with kisses in the air.

When we arrived I felt forgotten but within hours even a car guard remembered me as he saw us walking down the street between favourite old coffee-shop and favourite old place-to-go-for-salad. Friendly car guards are not uncommon in Cape Town and even beggars seem to have genuine smiles. Yes, I know, there are gangs, and street children, and political unrest and really pretentious models everywhere, but everything seems about 100% less aggressive than anywhere else. Okay maybe not anywhere else, I’ve heard Jamaica is pretty chilled.


Cape Town people get a bad rap because they talk and drive a little slower than non-Cape Town folk are used to, but maybe it’s alright to slow down a bit, to stop rushing to the next somewhere better, if you’re actually quite content right where you are.


I recommend, even if it’s just for a weekend, you too join the friendly people of Cape Town in their state of semi-retirement and get smothered in that ‘it just doesn’t get any better than this’ feeling.

(note: the above state is reserved for summer months and winter months bring about a more semi-depressed state of hibernation)

No comments: