Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Public relations

I have recently embarked on a two phase personal PR drive;

1. Artist management.

2. Networking.


I have come to terms with the fact that my current ‘agent’ will never call so I went and signed up with two new agencies; Fork and Lets Face It. Mel, head honcho at the latter, e-mailed me yesterday with a casting for a commercial for which I have apparently been ‘earmarked’. It will be my first casting for TV. Hold thumbs.


The next bit has been quite fun; meeting and greeting active theatre folk around town. This involves watching plays, seeking out like minded creative types and follow up. Last week I saw a dance show at the universities Elizabeth Sneddon Theatre and this week a drag queen at the Playhouse Loft! So I’m getting and idea of the kind of stage shows that are commercially viable in this town. I sought out Greg King of Artslink, who is very busy in the Playhouse workshop at the moment building the set of the end of year pantomime, but his main thing is producing contemporary western plays- sounds promising. The follow up involves checking in with people I’ve already met and with whom a follow up on things discussed was outstanding. For example, last time I met with Themi Venturas we discussed two potential projects and when we re-connected yesterday it seemed that the one (me directing HAIR for the Catalina theatre) has ‘come a long way’… I’ll know more about what that means after our meeting later in the week.


As I suspected, Durbanites in the industry who are actually working are making their own work. So that’s why I’m focusing on writing. I’d much rather have my own plays and find people who want to jump on board with me, instead of trying to find people who will let me catch a ride on their boat- if you know what I mean.


On a different note, our indoor palm is looking healthy. Nourished with plant feed and kept moist by a top layer of bark over the soil, she is thriving. It’s important to have greenery and growth in the home me thinks, especially now that I’ve relinquished the weekly gift of flowers from my husband. I figured now that I have been wooed, courted and wed, the flowers could become a spontaneous thing...

No comments: