Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Travelling light

In the end I didn't take either of the kids to Cape Town. Instead, I left them at home in the hands of their capable dad and a great support team to prove how utterly well they could manage without me. Believe it or not (ha ha), I managed quite well myself. I got to read so much of my book and sleep through two nights in a row. Actually, the first night my body still woke as if responding to a baby's call, as it has done an average of 3 times per night for the last 7 months (and not much less, often more, since Son was born 2 years before). By night two Body got the message and stayed asleep till 8:30. I'll tell you, it makes a big difference to get an entire night to myself. It's like the difference between packing the hire car with my little piece of carry-on luggage versus the one-bag-each plus pram and bottle bag scenario I usually find myself in when traveling these days. And while I completely appreciate my family's grip on me being loosened for a couple of days, nothing felt better than Son's arms closing around me on my return.

1 comment:

noodle said...

Yay! Nothing like a full nights sleep…