It’s one of those days where I’m playing stay-at-home-mom-without-any-help. While it is challenging at times, it makes for many satisfying moments too. Like when I managed to prepare toast and rooibos tea for Baby M and feed her while conducting a meeting in a semi-professional manner. When I couldn’t find someone to fetch Son from school things threatened to fall apart, but I simply cut my meeting short, postponed the signing of some documents, and strapped my grubby baby into her car seat. Another potential calamity was averted when Son, who had climbed into his own seat after being collected said, as I pulled off, “Mom, I’m not strapped in.” Oy!
Back at home the three of us have enjoyed homemade ice-lollies in the garden, driven make-believe trains and read Dr Seuss. I’ve even fed us all: veg and chicken mush for baby, whole-wheat pasta and an apple for Son, and some tuna with rye vita for me.
Baby M is now napping, Son is hanging out in the company of Bob The Builder and I am grateful for a moment to do my own thing. It’s not even 2:30 but so far so good. I just hope the 4am bottle-making tag team the kids put me through doesn’t catch up with me. Or the 6am wake up. Or that hardcore gym session I had. Guess that’s why they say you should have kids young!
Interestingly I'm not left feeling completely relieved that I usually have more help and don't live in Australia. While I am glad we aren't Down Under, it's not because of the absence of domestic help, for today it is that which has allowed me to feel free in my own home.
P.S. I don't actually have any thing against Australia :)
1 comment:
wonderful clever post of a day in your life...wow you are truly a super woman...stimulated, fed, exercised, on-top-of things, creative and calm. hats off to you. x x x x x
Post a Comment