Thursday, June 18, 2009

Recycling

Dear Mommy of Mr X (Who from now on will be referred to as 'Mommy X')

You expressed some interest in recycling and, while I’m no expert, I have finally started recycling at my home so let me break it down for you and you’ll see how easy it is:


*The traditional garbage bin becomes for organic waste only.

Such as: The stuff that can decompose naturally
eg. banana peels, left-overs and tea bags
Collection: Leave these black plastic bags for the municipality as you’ve done all along


*Have a separate bag/bin for paper and plastic

Such as: Cereal boxes, newspaper, yogurt and milk containers
Collection: Put all this in the orange bag now supplied by the municipality too. They will collect it from outside your home on your street’s trash collection day.


*Have a bin for tins and bottles (ours is in the garage)

Such as: beans etc and all those lovely bottles of wine
Collection: either separate and wash the tins and bottles then find out (from your neighbour who recycles) where the closest drop off point is OR
Simply purchase recyclable green bags from Spar and sign up with Earth Green who, for R50 a month, will collect all these unwashed and unsorted items (plus paper and plastic if you want) and take them to the drop-off point for you where it will be sorted and processed, AND relevant items will be distributed to various community arts projects!

Seriously, it couldn’t be easier.

Soon you might be green like me; asking for take-away organic sarmies in your own non-disposable container! Yes people, I got lunch, from a restaurant, for Mommy X and I, in Tupperware yesterday. I'm now one of those...

1 comment:

bronzefish said...

THANK YOU Green Friend!
You couldn't have put it more clearly. Now all I have to do is convince Daddy X to jump aboard-I can barely get him to put his shoes in the cupboard!
x