Monday, March 27, 2006

Coincidence? I think not

It has become a semi-regular occurrence that my home telephone rings and I answer only to become very confused by what is being said to me by the caller. For example one lady launched right into, 'I think there is something you need to know!' Another lady once called saying she had a very interesting story for me. But when, at the end of last week, someone called asking to put an advert in my paper, I decided to get to the bottom of the mystery.

As it turns out, my home number is listed in the yellow pages as the number to contact Agenda; a media project on the other side of town that has never even owned the number and does not subscribe to the yellow pages. Armed with their correct telephone number and website address, I did some further investigation. The Agenda Feminist Media Project began as a journal in the 1980's; the initiative of a small group of women activists and academics working in and around Durban. The project has developed to include a radio programme, internships, a writing programme and a website. They contribute to the development of women in Africa and 'give women a forum, a voice and skills to articulate their needs and interests towards transforming unequal gender relations' (http://www.agenda.org.za).

As they say (repeatedly in ‘V for Vendetta’) there is no such thing as coincidence…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hppt://spanishfootballsports.blogspot.com

Peace

Anonymous said...

I'm not a 100% sure, but I think Chaos Theory may have an interesting perspective on coincidences.(Wikipedia is excellent in terms of research prowess.)

Also,
Jung talked abour synchronicity (sp?), which, I think, meant once you notice a pattern, you see it more clearly... in the 4th Dimensional sense.