Thursday, March 29, 2012
Who writes these books we read
I have come to know Dr Seuss extremely well, or at least his books. Julia Donaldson is another whose words I can probably rattle off in my sleep, or on long car drives; far more handy than saying "up with bellyfulls of duckbill dinosaur" while sleeping I suppose. Maurice Sendak, Lynley Dodd and so many others have created worlds that are now referenced in my own all the time. Any sausage dog is Shnitzel von Krumm (with a very low tum), Tiddler - the small fish with a big imagination- has given us the often used phrase "it isn't just a story, said little Johnny Dory" and Son knows that if monsters come into his room at night (which he says they sometimes do) he can just tame them with a magic trick because he is the king of all the wild things (thanks to Maurice Sendak) or he can slay them with a vorpal sward as he does to any Jabberwocky he comes across. Funnily enough, and unrelated to this story, when Granny Bess called out to Grampa Maurice the other day, she shouted "MAURICE" and Son followed with "SENDAK". So he knows his authors this nearly-three-year-old. But who are/were these great writers, able to speak to children's hearts and minds while keeping adults happily reading and re-reading night after night? It is with this in mind that I share with you an article I just read and enjoyed called The restless life of Margaret Wise Brown, author of Goodnight Moon, which considers the question: do Childish People Write Better Children’s Books?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment