Monday, November 07, 2011

Detox

We're on it again, the train through Detox City.
I enjoy the ride but it isn't without its headaches, literally.

For the week Robbie and I are cutting out all wheat, alcohol, caffeine, dairy, sugar, meat (except fish), salt and processed foods.

Before 12 it's only fruit, that part is pretty easy- even enjoyable now with so many Summer fruits available.
The challenge is lunch, especially for Robbie who is at work all day and doesn't really have access to healthy food, certainly not detox healthy.

In meeting this challenge (by preparing his lunches after we've had dinner), there are some useful byproducts: I'm preparing meals for Son and tasters for Baby M too.

Yesterday I boiled up some brown basmati rice and added a mixture of cooked onion, mushrooms, chopped red bell peppers and sunflower seeds. Some plain rice was Son's lunch, a few mushrooms found their way onto Baby's plate this evening and both Robbie and I had healthy and filling meals on hand at lunch time.

For tomorrow I've made a quinoa salad (recipe below). Son will get quinoa (plain), Baby will try steamed broccoli and once again both Robbie and I will have tasty, colourful, fresh home-made lunches ready when we need 'em.

Even the worms are happy. All the unused veggie matter goes straight to them.
As Son said when brushing his teeth tonight, and with no apparent link to anything happening at the time, REDUCE REUSE RECYCLE!
















So, dear readers, I invite you to hop on board the detox train as, just for the week, we leave those condiments with labels we can't pronounce behind us!




Quinoa Salad Recipe

This quinoa salad recipe is surprisingly tasty and healthy! Whole grain quinoa cooks quicker than most grains and is an excellent source of protein with about 11 grams of protein per cup of cooked quinoa. Feel free to experiment by adding different veggies such as zucchini, corn or even kale or spinach greens.

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes

Ingredients:
4 cups vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups raw whole grain
1 cucumber, sliced
1 red or yellow bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup lightly steamed broccoli florets
2 tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
1/3 cup lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
dash salt and pepper, to taste

Preparation:Cook quinoa in vegetable broth until it fluffs up, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

While quinoa is cooking, whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, garlic cloves and salt and pepper. When quinoa is finished cooking, allow to cool slightly then, toss with vegetables and lemon juice mix, stirring to combine well. Add more salt and pepper to taste, and chill before serving.

Makes 6 servings of quinoa salad.

(Recipe By: Jolinda Hackett, About.com Guide)

No comments: