It takes a lot to not get depressed when you're in constant pain. You might forget about it, or just not dwell on it sometimes, but it doesn't go away. It's a drain on your energy. It saps any joy from your mood. And no one wants to hear you complaining, least of all yourself. Since having my wisdom teeth removed under general anesthetic a few days ago I have new admiration for people who suffer from prolonged and nagging physical discomfort (like that secretary at the place I worked who broke her back as a teenager and could never quite fix it again. though she complained a bit much).
So I've learned that. But other stuff too...
On weight loss. Eating small, mushy portions of food for days on end won't drop the kilos if that food is jelly and custard (from Loren), Ice-cream (from Nechama) and soft melt-in-your-mouth croissants (from Oyster Box). In fact, with my puffy triangle face, I'm looking a whole lot heavier.
On recovery. Good sleep is often associated with recovery, but recovery will have to happen even if good sleep doesn't. Perhaps someone could explain to Sin (typo, but I'm keeping it) that he shouldn't wake up screaming inconsolably for an hour. every hour. every night.
On pain-killers. 4 days after the op I'm not slowing down on the pain-killers, i'm slowing down outside the chemist to grab more. Thought I'd be feeling right as rain by now and experiencing that whole 'relaxation of the jaw' thing I'd been looking forward to. Rather, my jaw feels like it has been wired shut. At least the pain is becoming more isolated, i guess.
On knowing what procedure you're going in for. You might think that because I filled out on all the forms and told everyone who asked, nurses, family and friends alike, that I was having four teeth removed, that I would have had four teeth removed? Well, four days later, the swelling has subsided a bit, my tongue has just begun exploring my pulverized mouth, and I discover that only the bottom 2 are gone.
Boy do I feel duped. And totally flummoxed.
Doctor is getting a call first thing after Freedom day.
But I tell you, even if I were to receive double the wisdom second time around, nothing could make me go through this again.
UPDATE: I'm a nutter! Went to Maxillo Facial Surgeon. Got X-ray done. All four teeth are definitely gone! The top two just came out really easily he said. So I guess that's how it is for the people who eat steak the night after the operation. I would have too if all my teeth came out like those top two. If I ate steak....
1 comment:
funny and shame x glad you booked your tickets bell.
Post a Comment