Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Last minute cake decorating

I really should have looked up some tips or asked someone how you actually ice a birthday cake. I've never done it before, before tonight that is. In fact, I've never even seen someone icing a cake. I'd only ever eaten iced birthday cake. So when I took the icing out of the fridge tonight, I was sure it had gone too hard. But, did I actually know what consistency it should be? No. So I added water. It might have worked if I didn't add so much! Then I just piled it into my icing syringe, randomly picked a nozzle, and started to design a soccer ball on my beautifully turned-out cake. It was then I thought; there must surely be some technique! How hard do I push the syringe? How far away should I be from the cake? Should I be stopping after each individual splodge? What shape is a soccer ball? Anyway, it was too late, i was in the moment and it was the moment I was icing my first birthday cake for the first birthday of my first Son! And just like most other things I've done with him thus far, I just worked it out as I went along. The result?


















Just kidding, that is some other kids cake I just found online for comparative purposes.

This is mine:





















Oh the kids won't know the difference! And hopefully the gift bags will win them back anyway.

Contents:

- Whistle
- Squeaky ball
- Juice
- Choccie
- Sticker
- Thank you note






Next year- SPUR!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i'm sure coby loves his cool UFO haha splendid...love the pic of first cake nearly vomited on my new shoes xxxxxxx happy party picnic and seriously totally impressive that you baked and iced an cake xxxxxxxxxxxxx