Saturday, March 15, 2008

Beckon call

Rob’s gone off to work. He is working so hard these days. He hadn’t even met our beautiful niece till last night because his weekdays are just so crammed with matters of law. It’s in stark contrast to my days. I am at the beckon call* of my brother and sister in-law, the happy yet exhausted new parents. There has been the odd casting or brain scan (neurosurgeon wanted to check a few things out up in my brain after that accident), but otherwise I watch music videos and play Mario Brothers. Now it’s the weekend, when normally one gets to relax, but I’ve done so much darn relaxing that it’s just not fun any more! I know I shouldn’t complain, I mean, most people – my husband included- would probably exchange their partners for a week spent at leisure. Especially when, like in my case, you know it’s just temporary and work will pick up, and then some, soon. That’s what I have consoled my self with this past week. But now it’s the weekend, we were going to go to the beach to see how big the waves are, perhaps pick out a new light fitting for the study and maybe grab a cup of coffee together from our favourite spot, but now an urgent matter has demanded Rob’s complete and immediate attention. I am a very supportive wife though and think it is wonderful that he is working so hard, so I made him some kitka toast and coffee, wrapped up some biltong for the road, and sent him on his way. Now maybe I’ll read a book… or something… There is always that Mario Brother’s consol that Ilan has lent to me now that he no longer has time for such stuff!


* 'Beckon call' is in actual fact a misspelling, though I prefer to call it a rogue phrase. It's based on a mishearing of 'beck and call' but has been used in print media since as early as 1929. Beck is a word not actually found outside the phrase 'beck and call' these days. It is merely a shortened form of 'beckon', which we do still know well.
At January 2007 Google found 28,000 hits for 'beckon call' and 474,000 for 'beck and call'. (http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/beck-and-call.html )

No comments: