Wednesday, July 19, 2006

The wedding/honeymoon blog

Our wedding has come and gone....what a day for us all!! In this blog I will share some memories with a bit of writing and a couple of photos but to try and encapsulate a day that was beyond words is an overwhelming undertaking and to show you every beautiful photo of genuinely smiling faces would mean 1700 photos (so says the photographer).


I can say that I felt like a real-life princess and that any problems I had with my dress, my shoes, my bouquet right up until the last moments are now completely outshone by the radiant white bubble in which I floated the whole day. And our wonderful parents! Each so good at doing their thing. My mom who, as Robbie said in his speech, planned every detail of the wedding with awe inspiring precision and should offer her services to Danie Jordaan for the 2010 World Cup. My dad’s brilliantly creative ideas topped every corner of the venue with proverbial cherries; from the photo station at the entrance where guests got a sepia snap-shot “A picture of happiness framed at our simcha” to take home, a dessert table from heaven and Davidoff cigars handed out around the pool while in elegant company guests sipped on freshly made cocktails. Bess and Maurice schlepped in from Durban and led an amazing team of Grannies and brothers and even the entire contingent of Robbie’s Israel family! Family and friends flying in and driving in from all over the country and from all over the world, some just for the day and others making a whole journey out of it- how wonderful it was to be surrounded by such love, so much history and a real sense of two strong and vital family trees coming together. Speeches were made (they went on for quite long but apparently no one minded because they were ‘the kind of speeches you would want to hear again’) read Ilan's speech here, we danced, we sang, we drank and we ate (some people (Bess) managed to eat for the first time in days and some (me) tried- waiting for the gap then putting a fork full o fish in my mouth just as the next person would come over for a chat). I had been warned that the day goes by really quickly so I should saver every moment, and I made a conscious effort to do so- but honestly, it feels to me like the whole thing lasted about 2 minutes.


On a high, still floating in the bubble, we were serenaded with a shower of rose-petals and then my husband and I set off on honeymoon to Mauritius. In our bubble we lay on the beaches of white sand and still-alive seashells and swam in the clear clear ocean, in our bubble we taxied to the South shopping and sightseeing all the way and then back up again, in our bubble we walked and ate, drank Mauritian rum and befriended other honeymooning couples. I re-lived my youth as we visited our hotel’s neighbour Club-med – setting of my favourite pre-teen family holiday, and I also felt a general connectedness to my parents 20-something-year-old energies as they too honeymooned on the island 30 years before. 30 years!


We are into the second week of our young marriage and it has been quite a dream, but not the kind we'll ever have to wake up from because we lived it, we are living it… and have 1700 photos to prove it. I look at Robbie and my heart does a little bouncy flick flack- he is such a beautiful soul inhabiting an equally beautiful body and guided by the most beautiful heart and mind and we are going to live the rest of our lives as a team, a single entity- and of all the feelings I have felt over this past week (and I have been feeling a whole lot of feelings) and the past 24 years, this is the most positive, life-affirming and exciting one I can remember.

Le'Chaim!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mrs. Pillemer

Ahhh babe you look gorgeous.
Gutted that i couldn't be there, and crisis what a party.
I'm sure that your parents couldn't have been been prouder of their beautiful daughter.
and i can see that you've been working out.
Te be did you get my gift that my mom dropped off.Just want to know that you have it.
Please send me some photo's, send me all of them!
Love you.
I

Anonymous said...

oops that messaga was from me huni- Danie

Terri said...

Hi Dani girl, will definitely send you some pics and a nice e-mail soon. Thank you so much for the beautiful gift of very bright and happy colours for our room. You are such a thoughtful friend! So wished you could have been there but you will just have to visit us in Durbs asap... we may even have some of tht Mauritian rum left!