Thursday, January 31, 2013

Kitchen sessions

As the year begins to find its feet things start falling into place. Gym slots in twice a week. Lift schedules start making sense. Even afternoon cooking session come into play again.

Easy?
I can only cook with my friend Lauren. Without her inspiring me to follow recipes my dinner plates bare predictable variations of steamed veggies, a portion or two of protein and a combination of rice/lentils/quinoa/couscous. But this evening, after a few happy hours of cooking while the kids simmered around us, I arrived home from Lauren with a quiche. But not just any quiche; a super-healthy one. Okay, I don't know how healthy spray-and-cook is, but we used it in place of butter or oil between our delicate layers of philo and it worked great. The filling was mushroom and onion (as per Sunday Tribune recipe) plus beans (Lauren does good beans) and a major red chili which one of the kiddies picked from the garden. We held our breaths for a screech to find out who.

After 30 minutes in the oven, which I only did once home, the dish looked so good I pronounced 6:30 "Dinner Time" and broke a few cos leaves onto the plate as accompaniment.

I really thought quiche was trickier so either I was wrong or this is an easy recipe. Or maybe Lauren's kitchen prowess is starting to rub off on me!

Any suggestions for next week?

Before


After

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What???!!!! How brilliant - I NEED the recipe please! GV