Thursday, June 09, 2011

Healthy eating vs just eating

Son could quite happily subsist on bread and kiri cheese. He’d miss nuts and apples. And probably pasta, rice, cous cous, quinoa and fish fingers. That’s really it. Oh, and Wheatbix. I don’t think I have left anything out. All other food is either on Son’s “I once liked it but probably won’t eat it now” list, or his “don’t bring that near my mouth” list. The latter being a much, much longer list.

I firmly believe that because Robbie and I eat a healthy and varied diet Son will come around, but I am a little concerned about him getting the full spectrum of nutrients in the mean time.

To ninja-kick the threat of Kwashiorkor, I occasionally give the boy hot dogs. “Variety meat” grosses me out in general and I know these little organ parcels are packed with bad salts (sodium nitrate) and bad fats (saturated), but they do have protein (important) and iron (very important) and (the clincher) he eats them.

You can imagine my joy at something else he has taken to eating: my spirulina tablets. It’s an algae tablet a day for this kid! And he asks me for it. He’s so funny.

Perhaps when the protein-rich spirulana tabs fall out of favour he’ll move onto _________ (fill in the blank. I want to say broccoli but we all know that’s not going to happen)

No comments: