Monday, April 04, 2011

Fishy fish counter

Let me say upfront that I am a great supporter of meat-free Monday. The fact that we had fish tonight is because I figured most nights are meat free anyway and Monday is a good night for me to try something new in the kitchen.

At some point this weekend I was flicking through the last pages of my Women's Health when I came across a really appealing fish recipe.

So at Pick n Pay today I mosey on over to the fish counter.

"Hello," I say in my ever cheerful way, "do you have a firm, white fish that's sustainable?"
"Eh?"
"A white fish on the green list?" I say, gesticulating toward the SASSI paraphernalia decorating the fish window.
"Kingklip."
"Kingklip is on the orange list. I'd prefer something on the green list."
They look at me blankly.
"Y'know? Our oceans? They're in trouble? Some fish are being overfished and won't-"
The ladies call for back up.
"Yes?" says a more senior type
"Hi, I'd like to buy a firm white fish but I want one that's on SASSI's green list. Here!" I point to the variety of fish pictures with green borders.
"We have kingklip."
"Yes but that's ORANGE!"
"Ma'am it's white."
"Oh alright. I'll take it."

I feel bad that I took it but I did. And I cooked it. And it was goooood! Such a simple recipe. Will share after the picture and this link to SASSI in case you don't know what I'm on about.























Fish in tomato broth

1 tbsp olive oil
1 firm white fish (green ones= gunard/panga/santa)

for the broth:
3 garlic cloves thinly sliced
200g tomatoes (I used chopped salad tomatoes but bella/cherry would have been nice)
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup water
Generous pinch of chilli flakes
1/2 tsp sea salt flakes (I used Himalayan salt and it was fine)

To serve:
Basil leaves
Ciabatta slices (according to recipe)
Baby potatoes and green peas (my version)

1) Add broth ingredients to a pot and bring to the boil. Turn down heat and simmer for 5 minutes.

2) Heat olive oil in heavy non-stick pan until hot. Add the fish skin-side down and sear for 3 minutes.

3) Add the broth. Turn the fish over and simmer for 3 minutes.

4) Serve sprinkled with torn basil (an ciabatta for dipping if you go that route)

No comments: