Thursday, April 30, 2009

Am I getting enough sleep?

One could not blame our neighbours for imagining that some terrible torture is being inflicted on our child. If they were to ask what on Earth we do to him, I would have to answer honestly: we rock him, sing to him, cuddle him, change his nappy a million times, bathe him, feed him, feed him, feed him and rock him some more whilst asking what more he could possibly need from us and why he is screaming blue-murder!

Now don’t get me wrong, more times than not we have a model child who is more than content either awake or asleep, but other times he can be just about inconsolable. For example, it's nights like last night that help me to understand why so often, on seeing mother with newborn, people will almost instinctively tilt their heads and ask concernedly: Are you getting enough sleep? To which I normally give a chipper answer in the affirmative.
But there is nothing chipper about me today.

In the past, when he has slipped into the “blue-murder state-of-being”, I have thought perhaps to blame it on the piece of chocolate cake I ate earlier in the day or that I cut his mid-afternoon sleep short to take him on a little adventure (Babycity for more nappies or something), but I am beginning to think it can only be one of two things; either our child has the big C (colic) in which case we can expect it to last around 3 months or our child is just moody and this will last forever. If it be the latter, sorry neighbours, might as well move. Or invest in some F1 certified earplugs.

1 comment:

bronzefish said...

The Greeks have about 5 different words for 'love', simply because there are different kinds of love...I think the same should be said for sleep!