Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Just felt a kick

It’s almost too weird. I just can’t believe how many people in my life are pregnant. Seriously. My sister. My sister-in-law. 2 of my closest friends that live here in Durban (which is a real bonus) and 1 who lives in London. And that’s it really. Another 2 friends have just had babies, and the author of a blog I read has recently discovered she’s preggies, but the main ones are my sisters and friends who I’m very close to and who are all due right around the same time as me. I’m late March, my sister is early March, my sister-in-law is early Feb and friends are Feb and March as well.

Babies have obviously become the main topic of conversation and it’s pretty interesting to note how each one of us makes different choices. So far the decision to find out the sex of the child has been one of the main areas of difference. It’s quite a black and white topic; find out/don’t find out. We found out. And it’s a boy. I couldn’t be more thrilled. While I have said all along, and continue to say, that a healthy child is all I really want and whether it is a boy or a girl does not really matter to me, I do feel overjoyed at the prospect of bringing a little boy into our family. My husband is such an amazing man that for him to be able to pass on his character traits to the little man we raise just feels so right.

Knowing the sex has also helped us to be more focused in the name choosing. There are currently 12 names on our list which I know isn't very focused, but consider that the book of baby names has over 50 000!

I am hoping to choose re-usable nappies instead of disposable. I say hoping because I know its more work going re-usable, but if there is the one thing I do to help the environment, preventing 5000 nappies from piling up in a landfill somewhere will be a big one.

At this point I’m also choosing natural birth over Caesar and breast-feeding over formula, but those choices aren’t always ours to make.

There will be so many more choices to make along the way, which is quite a daunting prospect. I just hope I become a more decisive person...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the "old" days, we used to have a nappy service twice a week,(Stork nappy service) who delivered fresh cloth nappies and removed the used ones. There were disposable liners we used inside the nappy which one would flush down the loo, and then the nappy was placed in a blue bin ready to be collected. It worked well! Your plans all sound marvellous, I am sure you will be able to have a natural birth and breast feed successfully too. Best of luck with the pregnancy, birth and all the rest! It's amazing! Love from Coolwater.

Terri said...

Hi Coolwater :)
Thanks for the wishes. Mine is that such a nappy service still existed!