I organized a baby shower for Sandra who feels like her baby is going to step out any minute. All the guests were invited and the kosher eats procured. I looked forward to it. Then, as Sunday (the day of the baby shower) sniffed with little more than pre-dawn curiosity, I got a beep beep on my object of mass frustration. The sms read: “Baby shower not Jewish. Should not give gifts until baby is born…”
It was too late to cancel the whole thing, which is what part of me wanted to do. On the other hand, I knew there was a greater reason for this planned gathering, one which was not about gifts but rather support and encouragement for someone close to us, who is far away from her mom, her sister and all those who share the red stuff that runs through veins. Were it me, I’d need all the support and encouragement I could get, or to be left in a dark and dank room.
In the end that proved to be one of the many interesting topics of conversation covered. One such conversation actually reminded me of how the whole thing got started: Sandra entered a competition to win R10 000 in baby things. She asked me if she could fill my name in at the “Who’s throwing you a baby shower?” question of the entry form. Of course I said “of course!” and smartly began looking out for nice kosher party eats at the supermarket.
At the end Sandra thanked me and said that the whole thing would make a good blog. So here it is. I hope this suggestion doesn't get me into as much trouble! Love ya Sands xo
1 comment:
Sounds like it turned out well! Support and love being so important after all. When is the baby actually due? Keep us informed please!
Post a Comment