Friday, January 18, 2008

Cutting out articles

A few weeks ago I cut an article out of the paper and left it next to where I keep my brush so that every morning when I go to brush my hair I see the article. The article tells of a tent which has been erected to house families who were forced to evacuate their informal settlement in Hope Street after heavy rains. The tent which houses some 500 destitute people is not far from my home, not far at all.

Today I got in touch with councillor George who helped put the tent up in the park and asked if they could do with a clothes donation. Luckily he said yes so I filled an old suitcase with clothes and shoes and dropped them off.

George was older than his voice had let on and was wearing pinstripe pants and braces. Standing at the kitchen stairs I handed over the case. He greatly appreciated my support and said that usually when people phone him these days it’s to complain about the tent in the park and how it’s devaluing the price of their property. George believes it’s the state’s responsibility to care for those without anything; for the poor and the old. Hmmm… an activist. I asked if my last name sounded familiar and indeed he knows both my parents-in-law. I’d have been surprized if he did not.

Anyway, we may be far from being a welfare state but it’s always nice to see altruism in action and meet people with kindness in their heart and the energy to help.

No comments: