Monday, August 06, 2007

Casting

I went for a casting for an ad. Round 1; non-descript photo studio with standard pet and family portraits. The waiting-room with cardboard walls is where the cardboard girls wait for their number to be called. See girl now fourth in line handing out liquorish all sorts. That’s me. I’m going for the natural look. The all sorts packet makes its way back to me and we all pretend not to have heard the casting director’s question: what are your thoughts on global warming.

Round 2; “you live in a world where everyone wears this one thing. You’re on a train. You’re in a coffee shop. You see him, this man who isn’t wearing that thing. Maybe he’s got a bicycle. You look at him. One look. Keep it small. Try it without smiling. Try it again. Walk away. Then look back. Like double take. Um. I don’t know if I’m explaining myself very well…”

You’d think, well- I’d think, that after 4 (four) years (years!) at drama school I could have learnt that look. Maybe a few looks. They should have a class like that. Maybe call it small looks that can earn you big money. That would be the one we’d all go to.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

too bladdy right guy. should definately have had a class teaching these strange looks and glances that come up all the time in those ridiculous auditions. they should have mirrors in these auditions too i think. After one of those moments i try it again in the car's reaview mirror and it's always so much better. doh!

Terri said...

Exactly! I got home and showed Robbie my look and he said 'why did it make you sad?'So I ran to the mirror and checked out my look and sure enough I looked sad as hell! I was trying to go for subtle admiration! DOH!