Running on the treadmill at Melrose Arch gym is a bit like flying overseas on fancy class. I hadn’t even scanned all the channels by the time it was over. I even extended my running time by ten minutes. Between the tunes on my ipod, the personal television and people watching, I felt like the flight was over before I’d even read my book or done the sodoku.
Everyone at the gym is there to work out, and they take it seriously. They are serious about their bodies. I even saw the anorexic girl from school giving it horns on the stepping machine. And the guy who once took me on a date but just spoke about his car and whether or not his muscles were getting too big. Well they’re too big now.
I managed to figure out which of the state-o-da-art machines did the kind of things I was used to then met up with my mom for a cup of strong Lavazza coffee downstairs. The creature program was on the big screen (it is repeated at 9:30 on Saturday’s), which gave me quite a kick.
Caryn’s show ended its run last night and I’m really glad I got to see it. She's been pretty sick but luckily is over the worst of it now. Amazing how much energy they have to muster up to perform the high-energy three-hander. Especially considering it was their second performance of the day. For the guy in the front row it was his best show EVER; he lifted his leg and screeched in Afrikaans delight at every punch line. The rest of the audience enjoyed it too, the jerky leg and the show, of course. They’ve had such a successful run that it’ll probably be coming back… perhaps they’ll even bring it to Durban!
I better go put some cream on my hands- it’s really dry here in Joeys
2 comments:
it's a beauty.... you clever magpie x ha! this gave me a chuckle.
giving it horns. love it.
Post a Comment