Okay, the Sharks didn’t win. But we should have. We were robbed I tell you, robbed. I am glad though that the trophy was won by a South African team for the first time since--- I don’t know, maybe ever. And I guess the real winner is
We had pretty good seats behind the posts, great biltong from Dirks and 52 thousand psyched-up, dressed-up, flag wielding rugby fans that, like us, had waited the entire super 14 for this.
Then, if only Butch held onto the ball and didn’t kick it to the other team with less than a minute remaining! And if ooonly we converted that last try. If only they didn’t!
After the game we moped about the fields amongst hundreds of parked cars looking for our friend Nick. Calling "Niiick". Beneath the slither of moon skottle braais, beers and camping chairs came out of people’s boots like it was Blue Lagoon on a Sunday. Sakkie music played unashamedly and kids threw mini rugby balls around. And round about then I stopped feeling sad about supporting a loosing team, because like your nursery school teacher or Habonim maddie told you- we're all winners...
2 comments:
Do you eat biltong?? I was also supporting the sharks ( must be because of my Durban affiliation) - so I too, was sorry that they didn't win. However it must have been really great to be there amongst all the excited fans and the "gees" must have been awesome!
hoo rah hoo rah hoo rah ree throw the ball and count to three
damn
those war cry days screaming for your team. joll.
kadima lamala kadima lamala... remember that one? School pride china
x
Post a Comment