Last night at nine o’clock I lay more than half asleep on the couch and my plans for the evening consisted of moving to the bedroom at some point. Belting out The World’s Greatest Karaoke Hits for a good hour had really taken it all out of me. Then Robbie suggested we go down to Yossi’s for a night-cap, it being Saturday night and all and Yossi’s being only a couple of blocks away. Deciding that my slumber could be temporarily delayed I slipped off the couch, into some jeans and a hoody, and off we went for what I thought would be a 15 minute excursion.
The Yossi’s staff were already cashing up when we got there but unlike the couple who arrived after us we managed to sneak our order in. As we drank our coffees and I whipped Rob in Backgammon we heard the staff talk excitedly amongst themselves of Skido’s, where they would be going to support a fellow staff member playing in his band when all the customers finally left. ‘Skido’s?’ I asked feeling a little gust of wind lifting my energy levels, ‘where’s that?’…
We found a parking spot near the entrance of the Winston Hotel which is where the new Skido’s has taken the place of the old Burn nightclub. I had gone to Burn once. Robbie daringly took me there during the courting stage of our relationship. Lucky for us we had a great time that night surrounded by Durbanites painted black and head-banging to heavy metal music. Now, interested to see what had become of that haunt, we ascended the urine soaked stairs…
Once again the young Durban populous was out to play, this time wearing brighter clothes; T-shirts with words on them, trucker caps and the odd dreadlocked head. A band called ‘The Kiff’ was setting up to play. So Durban that, the Kiff! (See the meaning of kiff in the urban slang dictionary here) Though I’m not running out to buy the CD they actually were quite kiff. After them '340ml' played and they are 'the next big thing.'
Sitting on a comfortable couch next to an open window and a passed out birthday girl I was happy I had taken a d-tour between my own couch and the bedroom. I'm not mad about leaking sewage pipes and infinite queues to the bar, and perhaps I’m not as hip as I once was... hell, I don’t even know if the word hip is kiff anymore, but it sure is fun to get out there and mingle among the new trendsetters.
1 comment:
hey trendsetter go.getter: sounds like a right ol good time... As much as we love those homely evenings we sometimes gots to get off the couch and get out there into the night into the groove...
if not to set trends, then at least as fodder for your next play, project, interesting blog...
who loves you....?
hope you cooking all over
Post a Comment