Friday, November 10, 2006

Bean Bag binge

Yael is the bookkeeper at Bean Bag Bohemia and with great fortunate our ladies night posse was called upon to take up some space at their Nederburg Wine evening. Guests enjoyed a meal of 5 courses prepared by the celebrity chef and accompanied by harmonizing wines.

Oysters with cucumber jelly

Sour cream and caviar

2006 Nederburg Sauvignon Blanc


Camembert & rocket salad

(or Rillette of duck and foie gras)

Both with wild berry vinaigrette

2006 Nederburg Special late harvest


Fresh porchini mushroom (or peppered loin- for non veg)

served on lightly crushed new potato

Field mushroom froth, asparagus salad

2006 Nederburg Cabernet Sauvignon


Mediterranean vegetables

(Cod wrapped in Parma ham for non veg)

Served on summer pea mash

Bbin Chardonnay


Sweet white wine chiboust with

Raspberry jelly

2006 Nederburg Special late harvest


Difficult to keep up I tell you, and I can’t say much about the wines. Except that apparently wine makers (especially in Italy and France) are for the first time realizing the value of the consumer now that something like 40 billion barrels of wine (I might have that very wrong) are being produced every year with very few people who actually splash out on it. The quality of wines being produced is the best it’s ever been and the consumer cares less than ever. I suppose it is marketing efforts like these that hope to turn the average ‘I’ll have a glass of dry white’ drinker into the, ‘Excuse-moi monsieur, a Bbin Chardonnay for me please’ kind. Perhaps I need another one of these evenings before I’ll know which woody blend matches my meal and I think I’ll always prefer oysters with lemon and Tabasco.

No comments: