Friday, May 26, 2006

'So utterly glitterati'

There is a thing that perplexes me and actually makes me feel a bit sick and Robbie doesn’t think that this thing even exists or ever did. An ongoing debate rages between us. I think that KFC sprinkle pops is a terrible, bordering on evil, manifestation of chicken pieces whereas Robbie, who doesn’t listen to 5fm and obviously missed the ‘Glitterati’ campaign, thinks that ‘popcorn chicken’ is where the little deep-fried bites began and ended. My real gripe is not with Robbie (he is probably better off not believing in the existence of this hideous evil in our already tormented world) but Colonel Sanders, how could he? Are we supposed to believe that chicken that glitters is good? Even if you are a twelve year old girl you probably hate it, though the advert claims everyone will think you are terribly cool if you eat this deep-fried in batter substance sparkling with sprinkles from a sachet of glittery spices. Even the Colonel, once famous for bringing Original Recipe Kentucky chicken to a street corner near you, realized it was a mistake and has not only removed the advert from the radio and the Sparkle-Pops from the menu board, but seems to have erased every trace of their existence so that people like Robbie don't ever have to face the truth and people like me will wonder if it is just so crazy they might have made it all up. And apparently they don’t even use real chickens.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i concur

Anonymous said...

i realise this isn't my blog spot, but as i don't have my own, I have designated this blog spot, and in fact this very entry, the appropriate forum to mention this: I used to despise Oprah. Really. I especially despised her magazine (only she features on the cover...how narcissistic?). Over the last year or so, I began watching her show, and conceded, , tail between my legs, and very much unlike mysef, that I had been wrong about her. I tried to catch her show whenever I could, and if i didn't exactly buy her mags myself, I atleast spent a substantial amount of time at the book store leafing through them. During some episode or another, mention was made of her website, so I decided to check it out. As the site loaded, the first thing I noticed was a sponsor of the site, with an advertisement on the side of the page. That sponsor was none other than McDonalds...of course they were advertising their super new health range...I think I've said enough. Needless to say, I am warm in my beleif that I was right about her the first time around.