Shops are bursting with people clamoring to get caught up in the Christmas rush. Beaches are full of hot summer sunbathers. Cars are covering old skid marks with new ones as they head off, or in, or up, perhaps just around and around. We are nearing the final bend, it has been a good lap, and the champagne is about to be sprayed in our hair and on our clothes…
I’m nearly ready to go. I’ve started packing the contents of my flat into boxes and if everything goes according to plan the boxes will be on their merry way to Durban on the 28th on this month. Things, however, do not always go according to plan, at least not to my plan. Robbie will not be in Cape Town tomorrow because his case is running for longer that we had anticipated- I thought it would settle before even going to trial like many of his cases seem to do- but not this one. No. this one might just go to the 3rd of January when the judge has to go on holiday with his family to the Eastern Cape. What about Robbie and my road trip adventure? Well, that remains to be seen.
I will be a supportive and understanding fiancé.
I will be a supportive and understanding fiancé.
I will be a supportive and understanding fiancé.
I have also been tangled in the end-of-year web of Christmas light extension cords. And even though I wanted to, notice I did not begin this e-mail with an apology for being so slack with writing blogs. This is the first chance I have had to sit in front of a computer in two weeks. I know this because two weeks ago Orli (Robbie’s family’s family friend) asked me to e-mail her a paper written by Jay Pather that I have in my possession and that might help her with her doctorate thesis. I had every intention of doing it ASAP and I wake up each morning with that task somewhere on my list of things to do. But what with getting my play up and running and having my family in town, as well as one of my oldest and bestest friends Nina who currently resides in Bristol, and the fact that I have not had a car this entire week as she needed some serious attention in order to be prepared for when Robbie and I eventually embark on our road trip up to Johannesburg, all lead to the point I’m trying to make: things have been quite hectic.
(Jack's service station just called for permission to replace my cluster (the speedometer/revcounter bits), fit new break pads, and change my fanbelt. Sounds like important stuff.)
In the rear-view mirror I see the reaching hills and dipping valleys that make up the memorable landscape of two-thousand-and-thrive and as we near the final bend and prepare to roll into another scene of uncharted territory my brights are on and I like what I see up ahead!
Happy holidays everybody, more from me next year!
1 comment:
when do you update us on your documentary. i linked to your blog cuz im curious about your documentary. . update please:)
Post a Comment