I am embarking on a new (ad) venture. I’m making a documentary about some of the colourful characters I have gotten to know over the past few years in Cape Town who make a living on that white painted street line in between lanes of traffic. There is the lady who sells Big Issue, the white guy who is collecting money for “building a spacecraft”, and the midget who dresses up in a sequined coat and puts full clown make up over his disfigured face every day in the sweltering summer heat. The name of my doccie is where it really all comes together, brilliant name, and I’ll tell you one day but I think I need to copy write it first.
A lecturer at varsity has explained to me how I can get around some of the red tape by saying I’m doing a project, which I am, and that I am a UCT student, which I still am. Otherwise I would have to pay lots and lots of money to the council to get filming rights and to get permission to shoot in various locations and that can all take months. I want to start gathering as much footage as possible now.
The only problem is that I am shooting on a Sharp camcorder that has lost its charger and no where in South Africa stocks Sharp anymore. In New York we tried and had no luck either. So first I have to get some battery power, then I can begin making the documentary that will launch my film career… assuming I can get off the couch.
No comments:
Post a Comment