Thursday, December 08, 2011

Birthweek

I turned 30 this week. The celebrations began on the Saturday night surrounded by great friends, abundant food, rose Pongraz and music that got us moving under the stars on the veranda of a popular Durban restaurant. My bespoke evening was made even more special by the beautiful little speech Robbie gave which had me just about in tears and everyone else most impressed by his speaking skills. The speech, the friends, my fabulous family, it all got me feeling so blessed.

By the time Tuesday arrived, my gratitude for all the blessings bestowed upon me and my loved ones was brimming over. Even while Son climbed up me like a mountain and Baby M put her whole mouth over my nose. Even when I was picking errand Jungle Oats up off the floor or trying to prolong my tolerance for playing trains with a very instructive toddler.

On birthday night, Tuesday night, I beat Robbie at backgammon then missed the play I wanted to see because I didn't listen to him when he told me the Drama Department was "down that way". Instead I insisted on following the crowds (I should've known they weren't there for a play). We were led to the courtyard where an unfinished short film on the effects of climate change on rural women farmers was shown. This was followed by a reggae-type band from Zim, some spoken word poetry, more soulful singing and a woman calling herself Nomvula who spun around and around and around. For nature, apparently. It was something different and I was glad to have dipped my little toe into the vast COP17 ocean of programming.

There's still a little more COP to catch, a little more birthday to celebrate*, lots of hours to read on my new Kindle and no limit to the thanks I have to give for all the goodness in my life.


*Saturday night will be the dinner which was postponed so that I could see the play. And on Sunday we'll have some cake with the kids at the beach house.
Agh, celebrating a new decade of life is worth being a little indulgent for, no?

1 comment:

caryn k said...

bless you and your beautiful family my darling. i love you all muchly.