Monday, December 13, 2010

Dear Diary...

I feel fine. Yes, there are those physical aches, pains and barely bearable leg cramps. It’s also getting hotter here in Durban and I’m encased in this body- the reflection of which is becoming absurdly rotund. But aside from that, I guess things are going swimmingly!

Except...

Summer is meant to mean longer days and to me it seems each one is just a little too short to give enough time to “Creature”, family, home, friends, self… The weeks, they're rolling around a little fast too- each week goes by without me having managed to get through as much as I would like. By day, when I’m not writing for my life, trying to get through the 13 remaining Creature episodes, I have been writing articles for various local publications on behalf of the community organizations I’m involved with. Those articles require meetings, interviews, emails, sourcing photos and some people have even asked me to get in touch with other publications to see if they’ll be interested in publishing the articles too! I mean, really! Even if I plan to get to these extra little things, they usually get pushed aside as soon as I’m called by the studio for an approval. I approve each episode at 3 different stages of production. Each approval takes on average an hour and a half, though sometimes 3. We also shoot new episodes every two weeks as well as record the voice-overs for those episodes. I can never believe how quickly two week pass...

Two weeks are measured for me by the return date on Son’s library books. I am always caught so by surprise that a R5.00 fine is almost inevitable. Son. Yes, he is still my priority in amongst all this. Our quality time is often between 5:30 and 7:30 in the morning and then from around 4pm. When Robbie gets home he usually takes over with Son, allowing our little bath-lover to enjoy up to 45 minutes of pouring water from vessel to vessel in the tub and having his rubber lizard pop up from under the bubbles saying, “hello daddy!” That’s usually when I make dinner.

Quality time with my husband follows once Son is asleep, though I’m usually not far behind. Through the night I’m on alert for Son who still has me up at least once for his botty, if not for his raggie or dummy or just a moment with his mummy.

I decided to use this past weekend as constructively as possible. Saturday morning was all about family time then, once Son went down for his mid-day nap, I went upstairs to work and basically never stopped until Robbie and Son arrived home from an afternoon with cousins and grandparents at the Beach House around 7pm. I also “boxed smart” with my morning off: when Robbie went to Son at 5:30 on Sunday morning, I had a bath! Glory glory halleluya. And I read a magazine! A preggie mag. It's the one and only magazine on the subject I’ve had this time around. And I probably should have done without it...

The "My Pregnancy" magazine totally freaked me out. Lying there in the warm water I was reminded that soon, so soon, this baby isn’t going to be in utero any more. It’s going to be out in the real world! It’ll need nappies! And babygrows! And somewhere to sleep. Holy moly… And in the meantime, this precious thing is reaching major milestones week by week: eyelashes… fingernails… breathing… While I’m worrying about work and approvals and library books and swimming lessons and what to cook for dinner. Oh dear, swimming. Got to get Son to swimming. Then to his friend's house to play while I go off to an approval, which will have to be finished by the time Blue Security comes to do the installation. Which will probably make the house too noisy a place for Son to have his mid-day nap. Badly planned. Damn…

Hope you’re all enjoying your holidays!!!!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just subsribed to your feed. Hope it works. Nice to be in touch! Much love, Sue from NY