The day has just begun. Well, not for us...
It is 8 o’clock. Son has just gone to sleep. In the background raw video footage from yesterday’s play date at the botanical gardens is being imported into iMovie. I will edit this and post the video soon, but for now let’s keep working backwards. I was interrupted by the sound of something crashing to the ground so I ran to Son’s room where we was in the process of falling into his morning sleep. Or so I thought. He was, in actual fact, standing in his cot, holding onto the railings and swiping things off the compactum. A first. Note to self- move the base of the cot to its lowest level. This 'baby-proofing' story is another thing all together. Already this morning I have been stashing modem cords, plugs and cables in hard to reach places, and you’d be surprised at how hard it is to make something ‘hard to reach’, let alone OUT of reach. Of course, like most babies I'd imagine, Son has a real fascination with non-toys. I noticed this (again) this morning when I came upstairs to import the said footage and brought Son along with me. I laid toys all over the floor but no; he headed straight for the plugs and cables. If there were keys, or cellphones or sunglasses he probably would have bee-lined for those too. He was full of energy as I had been promised/warned he would be by the Maltabella packaging. Maltabella porridge was what he had for breakfast no too long ago, when we got back from our daybreak stroll.
A pleasant stroll it was. Very still and quiet out- too early for even the newspaper man. Respectful greetings were shared with the few people we passed, carrying their plastic bags, on their way to somewhere, in no particular hurry. I enjoyed the camaraderie between those of us up so early. I had my travel mug of Nescafe and Son had his piece of dry Kitka bread. We stopped often. The air tasted fresh and unpolluted. We did not encounter a single car. Even the dogs did not bark. So glad was I to be out, I imagined making a habit of it. Perhaps buying a 3-wheel pram and going for jogs with Son on the beachfront. Wishful, and wistful.
By the time we got home Son was ready for breakfast. I did not realize that the Maltabella required 15 minutes of simmering. Another first. After 5 minutes, throughout which Son making up in noise for all the quiet we’d just enjoyed, I cheated and put the porridge in the microwave for 2 minutes. So easy. Is the microwave really that bad? To the cooked mixture I added some milk and sweet home-made pear puree. Okay, it was Purity pear, but I wished I had some home-made to use rather and will prepare a batch soon. Good news- he loved the porridge. He ate it like he had been ready for it since he woke up 2 and a half hours before. 2 and a half hours? What had we been doing all morning? Well you’ve heard about the walk already, and before that we played. And re-arranged the play area. Washed the dishes and sterilized the bottles. Sorted some laundry and waited in vain for the newspaper. Then the walk, then the porridge and then playing hide and seek with the cables and cords upstairs. No wonder then that Son was finally ready to go back to sleep (after destroying the arrangement of items on the compactum).
So I can do my own thing for now, which will probably include another cup of coffee and the Sunday Times.
Sorry for rambling on, but the secretary in my brain hasn’t pitched yet either so things aren’t quite in order.
No comments:
Post a Comment