Wednesday, December 24, 2008

3 walks, 2 swims, 1 weekend

I meant to write this a few days ago but I've been rather focused on tying up the year's loose ends and so hadn't gotten around to it until now. I might have just let this post go, as I sometimes do when I have an idea of what to write about but don't get around to writing it for a while. But this one has stuck with me. I guess because what I want to tell you about really just encapsulates the summer vibe we're getting into here in Durbs, and it's too nice not to be shared. Apologies to those in the snowy hemisphere.

Saturday morning brought with it the sun in all her blazing glory and, as is tradition, Rob and I went for Saturday morning breakfast. We tried Spiga d'ore which is famous for its pizza/pasta/sidewalk vibe, as we had heard they do a pretty mean breakfast there too. I can concur. Very good breakfast.

After paying the bill we just sat in the car for a while trying to decide where to go, what to do. It being Christmas time many places are no go areas, like shopping centres and local beaches.

On my brilliant suggestion (though later Rob tried to take the credit for it of course) we drove out to Umdloti. This coastal village barely 25 minutes away is home to some of the province's best restaurants, as well as mile long beaches and a beautiful big tidal pool surrounded by rock pools in which excited kids try catch baby fish and stick their fingers in sea anemones.

We walked along the promenade stopping to buy sunscreen and a super-cool tent/umbrella. Then found a spot on the beach where we lay in the sun and swam in the calm ocean. By the time a large family set up their tent practically on top of ours we were actually ready to leave anyway.


















Later, after lunch at Bess and Maurice, we had another refreshing swim in the pool at their house. It's so good being submerged in a body of water and really one of the only ways to beat the heat this summer.

Sunday was cooler. We braved the gym in the morning and while Rob ran for 40 minutes I just did a nice 40 minute walk. Then we had "freezos" (iced-coffee) at the ever-trendy Vida-e and came home to watch more episodes of Lost which is the DVD series we're currently hooked on. In the afternoon we decided to go for another walk, this time around the block, to visit our new home.














Really, the point of this whole blog was so I could post those two pictures which I took with my phone that weekend. I hope you don't mind. It might be a while till I post again as we are headed off on a little holiday to Cape Town, which I am ssooooo looking forward to. I don't remember the last time I looked forward to having a break this much. And when we get back it's straight back into work-mode for me, so I'll have to make the most of these few blessed days of relaxation which lie ahead.

Happy holidays to you all

xo

No comments: