Saturday, October 15, 2005

Judaism 101

When my non-Jewish friends asked about the fast I felt terribly unequipped to answer their questions. I unconfidently muttered something about it being a very religious day when we are supposed to wear white and atone for our sins. In an attempt to better equip myself for next year I have done some research.

Yom Kippur is probably the most important holiday of the Jewish year. It occurs on the 10th day of Tishri. The name "Yom Kippur" means "Day of Atonement," and that pretty much explains what the holiday is. It is a day set aside to "afflict the soul," to atone for the sins of the past year. In Days of Awe. we hope that hashem inscribes all of our names in the book of life. On Yom Kippur, the judgment entered in these books is sealed. This day is, essentially our last appeal, our last chance to change the judgment, to demonstrate our repentance and make amends.

Yom Kippur is a complete Sabbath; no work can be performed on that day. As I explained in my previous blog, I was less successful in this regard. I did however refrain from eating and drinking (even water). The fast is a complete 25-hour fast beginning before sunset on the evening before Yom Kippur and ending after nightfall on the day of Yom Kippur.
The Talmud, apparently, specifies additional restrictions: washing and bathing, anointing one's body with cosmetics, deodorants, etc., wearing leather shoes and engaging in sexual relations are all prohibited on Yom Kippur.

Most of the holiday should be spent in shul (synagogue), in prayer. Robbie was in shul all day, which is possibly good enough to make up for my non-attendance.

1 comment:

Ilan Pillemer said...

Hmm. Hmm.

How does one get the merit of fasting for as if two days, but still only fasting for one? Hint: its in the first chapter of Tractate Berachot.