Time to vent. Because what good is having a blog if you don't sometimes use it to vent?
We were assured by the developers of this complex we would have no problems with telkom internet in our new house. But it turned out the area wasn't even on the telkom map. So we applied for a telkom adsl line in Oct 2013
A year later there is now infrastructure so we should be up and running.
I'm told to re-apply so I do. On the 8th of December.
An sms comes through on the 10th saying "welcome to telkom adsl. Call 10210 to activate your line".
Here we go...
It's 9:15am when I sit down to call.
I follow the automated instructions and the phone is answered in less than 10 minutes.
The lady who answers is sweet but once she has found my order and we make some progress we are cut off.
I try again but sitting on hold for 20 minutes. Luckily my hands are busy with other things while I hold. Like writing down what is happening and finding my previous logs of this saga.
No one answers so I hang up and try again with new number answers to the automated questions.
Nomasonda answers, she goes through the same laborious process to find out which account we are. Says I
need to speak to technical.
Angelo eventually picks up the call. After all the same questions he says I
need to speak to acctivations to activate the account.
Thabseng comes to the phone now. It's been one hour since I started this. Sfter even more questions from her than the others, and an even more miff attitude than the others, we seem to be getting somewhere. She is picking up two
orders.
Infrastructure
not available
Same message as
last year
But wait, there is fibre infrastructure. She has seen it on the system!
Fiber to home. Yes that's it!
Our area can have it, she tell me. She seems surprised. I am relieved.
We really are getting somewhere.
20 meg line 50
megs, she tells me. Sounds fine I say.
It's expensive. But we know this. We have decided it's okay.
Free installation. Okay good.
24 month contract. Yes fine.
No voice. What? No phone? Hmm...
You can have a phone for R200 more a month.
Unlimited
calls free to a telkom number. Oh great.
20 meg line 50
megs.
24 month contract.
Needs to speak to
Robbie to order
Cant get hold of
him
I think, I will only ever be the one dealing with this anyway.
Put the account in my name.
So we change account
to my name
But a different address
is coming up, she says.
Do we live in Verulum? No.
Where do we live?
The system is slow.
The system isn't finding us.
Call dropped.
Does she call back? No
I go through my records and phone the guy who we were told could help
I use his celnumber cause this is an escalated situation
Bernie laughs
that chris gave out his number.
He did work
closely with Chris at the set-up stage.
Designed set up-
pipes to house, manholes etc.
A few months ago
he came on site as it has been earmarked for fiber optics
But this is a
year later
But having it
switched on he can’t do
10217
Or get in car and
go to gateway
Even he has no
other way
His phones not
working either and he has applied and is waiting
Now two hours
later I’m calling 10217
Can’t help me as
it is the business line
No access to our
account
Okay I’m getting
in my car.
No wait I have other things to do here first..
Might as well call again and be on hold in
the mean time
I forget I’m on hold it takes so long
Then Dudu answers
The account we were setting up with my name doesn’t exist.
No record of an application with my name.
Give Robbie's id number.
There is an order.
But she can’t say what it is because
the system is slow.
We wait
She finds the application.
It's for 10 gigs on a 2 meg line
Get that first. Then you can upgrade to fibre.
But you can't give us adsl in this area you said, I say. Isn’t there only ever going to be fibre? Which we have waited for for a year. And it's in now. We saw them "blowing it in", as they say it in the biz. We have been waiting for fibre because there is no other option. And now there is fibre. I just had to reapply, which I did. And you sent me a message saying "welcome!" Just call 10210 to activate. And I was just about to activate it with the last lady I spoke to when your phones cut us off.
Let me check, she says.
The system is slow
No. No fibre. No infrastructure. No line. No adsl.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
12:15.
Signing out
*sigh*
Signing out
*sigh*
No comments:
Post a Comment