It goes like this. Last night, 3am, my three year old Miks (or "Little M as I sometimes call her on this blog) wakes up ready for “break-ist”. She wants “cereal-ie”. I manage to get her back to bed,
my bed, between me and dad. We all sleep happily for about 5 minutes. Then Son wakes
up crying. Maybe he isn’t awake, but he is definitely crying. I settle him relatively easily but 10 minutes after I've gotten back into bed he's moaning again. A good wee usually sorts out situations like this so I carry him to the loo, followed by Little M asking why I’m not in bed anymore and by pup who's now also wide awake and bouncing all over the place. Darn, I think, I’ll have to take Shadowfax
out into the garden for a wee now too.
On the way back to Son's room, the four of us shuffle down the
passage, and I notice dark marks on the carpets. Great, I think, in that extremely sarcastic way, he's
already done his wee. No, wait, that’s not a wee. Crap. I hate this. Please, I think, please no. But yes. In the playroom I come face-to-face with the reality that the dog has an upset tummy. We should have just laid down laminate flooring during the building phase. So it's about four in the morning, Son is asleep again and Miks is still standing with me, and I start scrubbing the carpets with the special stuff I got last week with the "treat which wasn't much of a treat" incident.
I do a bad job of it but I'm really hoping to still get some sleep and I know Little M needs to as well. Responsibly I take the dog outside, which entails switching off the alarm switching on the lights and carrying the toddler downstairs with me. Shadowfax lies down the minute he's outside, got nothing left for the garden. He follows us back in. Okay, I think, we're going to sleep on the balcony. They all follow me.
Even though it is actually morning, it's still dark and the three of us go back upstairs, through the now disgusting playroom and onto the balcony together. We lie down and get as comfortable as we can on outdoor furniture on a mild winter’s night. Every time the security guard passes our complex with his dog Shadow barks and I jump out of my skin. I look at Little M who just lies awake, stroking her beloved pup. I say “go back inside Little M, to your cozy bed, try get a little more sleep”. Surprisingly she obliges. Then I black-out.
I do a bad job of it but I'm really hoping to still get some sleep and I know Little M needs to as well. Responsibly I take the dog outside, which entails switching off the alarm switching on the lights and carrying the toddler downstairs with me. Shadowfax lies down the minute he's outside, got nothing left for the garden. He follows us back in. Okay, I think, we're going to sleep on the balcony. They all follow me.
Even though it is actually morning, it's still dark and the three of us go back upstairs, through the now disgusting playroom and onto the balcony together. We lie down and get as comfortable as we can on outdoor furniture on a mild winter’s night. Every time the security guard passes our complex with his dog Shadow barks and I jump out of my skin. I look at Little M who just lies awake, stroking her beloved pup. I say “go back inside Little M, to your cozy bed, try get a little more sleep”. Surprisingly she obliges. Then I black-out.
It’s 7am when I wake up and we have all
overslept. M is happy to finally get her break-ist. Son is sad we’ll be late for school. M is sad when she spills her cereal-ie all over the table and floor. Son is happy when I tell him Max and Rachel are both coming home to us after school. Shadow catches up on sleep. Aunty Fi
arrives, still hobbling around on her swollen feet, and I brief her about the
poopie carpets and spilled milk and children coming to play in the afternoon.
After dropping the kids at school I head to the aptly
named iwantmycoffee, which is where I am now enjoying a good coffee
and a bowl of hot oats. And if this isn't enough to set me on the right track for
the day, my dear sister calls. I tell her about my night, we laugh and she
says it sounds crazy. Really crazy. Does it? Well if it is, it’s worth a blog I think. And
that brings us to where we are now…
Time for another coffee
xx
2 comments:
oh my dear the travails of a long night!
Definitely crazy. Word.
Post a Comment