Monday, October 25, 2010

Three's company

We had such a nice weekend doing so very little. Aside from the conference I attended on raising a toddler, a visit to the beach house and a long Sunday morning breakfast with friends at the Arts CafĂ©, Son, Robbie and I did not leave the house. The rain was a major contributing factor but also, we were all so content in each other’s company; there seemed no reason to be anywhere else.

Son is playing so beautifully on his own- building towers out of his stacking cups, driving primary-coloured toy cars along the couches, filling containers with water outside and turning the hose into a shower. Then with either or both of us, he likes to dance, have make-believe tea parties, explore the garden, watch videos on the iphones, get involved in kitchen activities, have piles of books read to him, balls rolled to him which he kicks back and insisting that he has to wee with his nappy off (which is yet to actually happen in the potty). Oh and bubbles, “HUGE” bubbles, he loves to pop with either a kick, a single finger poke or a clap.

I don’t know why, but suddenly I feel like everything is going to be just fine when baby number two comes along. It’s a really good and much longed for feeling. Though, even as I type, my emotions vacillate like that little line on the heart rate monitor when I think of the reality of having two to entertain, two to carry, two to feed, two to placate, two to bath, two to put to sleep, two to wake up for…

Maybe next year we’ll just stay at home all the time. Except that at least one of us actually has to work and I don’t think Son is ready to take that on just yet- his employers might not appreciate him taking all his clothes off and weeing on their floor. Plus, being out is nice too… I think we’ll have to strike a balance and it might be that because we were all so in harmony this weekend, well I see that a balance may not be so hard to come by even with a fourth member in the family, after all.

No comments: