It started with the upgrades, which it doesn’t like me to do, even though it will download all the updates for 26 hours and only THEN tell me that it won’t actually be installing them.
It was suggested that maybe I wasn’t getting “involved enough” with him/her/it when I complained about my lack of loving-feelings. So- in an effort to make more of an effort, I thought- I already use my iPhone calendar as my only calendar/diary/notebook and have done so all year, so let me sync it with my Macbook and then they can both communicate with each other and with me to keep me up-to-date with all of my arrangements, engagements and deadlines. Well the sync just erased all the information off my iPhone calendar. Gone gone gone. For ever. Reminded me of the time a sync erased all my contacts. Good times...
Fine, so, I will use my Macbook just for writing, that’s what I really need it for, right? Well, most people will tell you that the word processor is where a Mac falls short. I still use Word, as I did on my relegated old PC notebook, but it doesn’t show me my documents the way I liked on the PC version and it’s an extra step to do just about anything from changing font or alignment or highlighting text to opening up a new document for side-by-side comparison. These are the things I do all day and the extra steps add up, believe me.
So again, fine, didn’t I actually plan to edit on the computer? I finally track-down the special extension for my firewire cable so that the camcorder can talk to the MacBook. But why won’t Final Cut edit suite notice my camera. Okay, maybe it’s me, these things are complicated. I’ll work it out later and stick with iMovie for now, I say to myself. I edit edit edit. All night long. Feeling a little nervous that I can’t save. WHAT? You can’t save? Seems ridiculous. Well, it is, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t true:

So when the programme “unexpectedly quit” I was really hoping that they were being honest. They weren’t. Nothing was saved except for 2 measly frames. And can you believe I then edited the whole stupid thing again? Till 12 o’clock last night. I even added music this time. All the time trying to save but to no avail because it doesn’t exist as a feature on this terrible application. And then again it was all lost. Well I just about lost it myself. But I also had that resigned feeling of like, oh well, what did I expect from my Macbook anyway?
I still hope things will turn around for us. After such a big investment in what is aesthetically a beautiful machine, which most owners adore, it seems unreasonable for us to have an un-mendable fall out so early in the relationship. Unfortunately all the effort seems one-sided at the moment and one of us (not saying which) seems to be trying very hard to sabotage what little remains of the friendship.
No comments:
Post a Comment